Thursday, July 29, 2010

More of the good, less of the bad.


The alcohol wipe they used to remove the mysterious alien marks on Kaya's head are some kind of medical miracle wipe. The problems are all going away on their own. Lungs are doing better each day. Food is being digested and amounts increased each day. The eventration in the diaphragm is still there but not causing respiration problems so the are just watching it. There were some things with the Heart echo called ASD Atrial septum deviation where basically the Atrial walls of the heart have not closed completely but they say it is common and not of concern. The Doc this morning even thinks the facial paralysis is beginning to diminish. All great things. So I asked if I could take home some of the miracle alcohol wipes for when she breaks her arm or some other injury, I can just wipe her with the "Healing wipes" and be good as new. They told me to take as many as I wanted.

Tiff also got to start trying to breastfeed her today. It's a slow start because for the first 3 days when Kaya was showing the signs of wanting to nurse they can't let her so she's a little confused but it'll all be good. She get's to try every 3 hours. They are also planning to take out the last line from her navel tomorrow and then they may move her to the other side of the NICU for babies without respiratory problems. After that it sounds like she just has to learn to eat regularly and we may get to take her home.

Tiff is doing well. She is a trooper and has been up and moving since the second morning. I think she's about done with the hospital but it looks like she'll be here one more night.

All our thanks to everyone for the thoughts and prayers.
We are so happy with the progress she has made and we look forward to being home in the near future.

A little time with the mommy.
Good good things.

6 comments:

michelle said...

Oh she is so BEAUTIFUL!!! I have been checking the computer to see if there was anything new. Can I come see her tonight without all of her Stuff in her? (without my kids).... Maybe after I work Ill slip by if thats ok.
Im soooooo glad she is doing so good, We will keep praying for her. I can't wait to be able to hold and kiss her myself. Aunt shell loves you pretty girl!

michelle said...

ps she totally got the murray eyelashes!! Yay for her!!!

The Livingstones said...

My neice was born with an opening in her heart, and it closed up no problem by the time she was 1, I think. Glad to see she's making good progress, and I hope you can have everyone home from the hospital soon. The hospital is no fun.

~~Heidi~~ said...

Oh my goodness, She looks amazing you guys!!!! I left a comment yesterday, but I think Ty deleted it when he got on the computer. Anyways, I am seriously jumping up and down with Joy! I can't believe how far and fast she has come!!!!!
Oh and by the way, her name in Hawaiian is spelled Kai'a, and it means.... you ready paul... goes right along with the rest of your kids names.... THE SEA! I guess its true, so far her life was tossed to and fro, but now it beautiful and calm! I hope it stays that way! Love you guys, oh and fyi, i was totally sobing when I saw the pics of Paul with baby, I can't image how it feels not to be able to hold your very own child right after they are born! Love you baby Kaya!

Julie said...

Hey Paul, I guess you could say I am officially "blogsnooping", but I was curious how things were going with the new baby. Sounds like things are heading in the right direction, that's great news.

I was reading aloud to my husband (who is a doctor as well) that part about the "mysterious alien spots"- what a great story! I am so glad the doctor had some common sense (which is sometimes lost in medicine). It's great you were able to see the humor in it as well (even if after the fact).
Please give my best to Tiff, and I hope you get to take that cute little girl home soon. Also, tell your parents and Greg hi from me as well.
Congratulations and hang in there!
Julie Widdison

leslie said...

loooove the pic of momma with her babe. you are gorgeous, tiff! and so happy things are continuing to improve. you'll be home in no time. xo