Wednesday, October 22, 2008

BaseBall


I'm not really a huge sports fan. I played highschool football and basketball but I don't really like going to watch games. I do love watching the NCAA Basketball tourney in March and I might catch a game or two of the NBA finals. I watch the superbowl with the sole intent of catching a Cindi Crawford Pepsi commercial. With all of that said, I am sitting here watching game one of the world series. I voted early(Obama) and I don't have work or homework to do, nor do we have cable, so here I sit watching the Phillies and the Rays go at it in a game that is almost as slow to watch as golf. I have two major observations I'd like to make about baseball. The first thing that really bugs me about Baseball is that it is the only sport that you can be actively playing while eating. You have never seen Michael Jordan or Peyton Manning eating Sunflower seeds while playing. My next complaint has everything to do with this picture.
This is Don Zimmer, he's with the Tampa Bay Rays now(I think) but used to be with the Yankees. You can use this picture as a representation of what I am about to ask. Why do Baseball coaches or managers as they're called, wear uniforms like the players? I don't want to see Jerry Sloan in shorts and a tank top at a Jazz game, nor do I hope to see Bronco Mendenhall in helmet and pads at a BYU football game. In no other sport that I can think of do the coaches wear a uniform. It just looks stupid. Can you imagine Michael Phelps swimming coach walking around in a speedo, or the womens gymnastics coaches in their little whatever that uniform is.
And just as a parting thought, one good reason to not wear a uniform if you are not a player is that no one else will mistake you for a big fat old player and throw your face in the dirt.

3 comments:

tiffy girl said...

I think I have to agree with you. I always thought it was weird back in high school that coach clements was all uniformed up with the team. But I played softball for years, and loved eating sunflower seeds in the dugout.

Seth Ollerton said...

Hey Paul,
I still can't eat sunflower seeds correctly, let alone while I'm playing some sport. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Nice to see you bloggin'. Let's have a Halo night sometime. Peace Out!
-Seth

wild bri said...

Nice observations and nice vote! Somebody asked me who I was rooting for in the World Series the other day and I said "The workd series is going on right now" They looked at me like I was some kind of friek. I guess some people have a life and others watch sports to each his own.