Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Animas

Let's start with a disclaimer: If your last name is Murdock, Stop reading now! This post is about dogs and we all know you are heartless dog haters! We have had Ani for about 5 months now and she has grown like some kind of mutant. We're just guessing but she's got to be over 50lbs and getting bigger.

When we brought her home she was so small.

Not only has she grown in size but also in our fondness for her.(I hesitate to say love because I know the Murdocks are still reading) The thing that amazes me is how attached I have become to an animal. I know she is just a dog and I am far from being one of "those people" who let their dog lick their face and live in the house and sleep on their bed. Thats not me, but every morning and every night either Tiff or I take her for a walk and it is a joy to watch her work the fields. She averages 2 pheasants each day and she works hard to find them. It really is nice to walk around the alfalfa fields watching a dog and seeing the sun rise or set. I don't have to think about work or money or the state of the economy when I am out there.
Before she gained an interest in pheasants.


Frisbee lessons up the canyon.

Back side of Maple Mountain.

Some friends recently had their dog die and it got me thinking. It sucks that animals have such short lives. So thats one thing that got me on this subject. The other is a book I read about Haines, Alaska and in said book the authors Lab has to be put down. She talks about the time spent with the dog and how it became a huge part of her life. Even when her husband was at work and the kids at school, she still had "Good dog Carl". So today I took Ani to be spayed(sp?), just doing our part for Bob Barker. When we brought her home tonight she is wasted from the drugs they put her out with. Normally she is an overly hyper dog, but tonight I had to pick her up to put her in her kennel and it got me thinking about the day she is going to be gone. Noah lost a salamander tonight named Lightning. He only had it for 15 minutes and he cried at its loss for far longer. So I dread the day that Ani has to go. I know my children will be crushed as will Tiff. If you Murdocks are still reading and I know you are, make fun of me all you want but your father bawled like a child when he called to tell us Old Paint was down.
Max's Best Friend

My point here is this. Each day is a gift, everything that makes these days more enjoyable is a good thing. Walking a dog each morning is both blessing and curse, but it is worth the joy my children get from her. Call me a sappy dog lover if you want, but until you have one you won't know what you're missing. Also know this, dogs are like children. Yours are horrible but I love mine!

8 comments:

Grandma Nancy said...

Okay, make me feel guilty about killing Meg. Love the picture of Maxie Newton and Ani.

me said...

I'm sure this love for dog's really started for you in high school when "RIP" Mikie would hop on your leg and hump it like there's no tomorrow. If Ani needs a leg I will be more than happy to come on over.

Greg and Leigh said...

what did you do to that poor salamander after I left?
That is a dang cut dog, and not a bad kid no matter what you say.
As soon as i get a yard i might consider a dog!
the real newty

leslie said...

awwwww....look paul....you do have a heart!!

nice blog, btw, now that blogs are SO five years ago....time to join the crowd at facebook, which is where all the action is nowadays. there, did i raz ya enough? :D

michelle said...

Oh that is so SWeet!!! okay now lets talk business....You know that feeling that you have for that black beauty just think of that little girl waiting in heaven for you and how she would melt your heart the same. No really you know I had to throw that in.
I know what you mean about love of animals. There will be alot of tears shed when Taya goes. I hear everyday by Gav "Taya is my best friend"

wild bri said...

Yes the Murdocks are reading, but when did we become known as heartless dog haters? I grew up with dogs (and horses and even some rabbits), remember Augustus McCrae the best three legged blue healer/border collie mix that has ever lived? I just don't like when other people's dogs rip into my backpack and eat my lunch or jump in my truck or bite my kids or crap in my yard and their owners think it is cute. So keep your damn dog out of my yard.

Nice kayaking story,being humbled is something we all need every once in awhile.

Evan Tea said...

What up, Mr. Newty?! Glad to see you entering the blogging world...what's next, Facebook? Sheeeiiit. Oh yeah, thanks for checking in on mine every so often. Life is kicking ass in Vietnam - and yes, the girls over here are GORGEOUS. Hope you and yours are well. Let's hit the slopes when I get home since we missed the annual Newty/Tea Brother Golf Classic this year.

Evan

miranda said...

What's next, a cat?